Wish Upon A Dish: I am addicted to recipe contests....

June 24, 2010

I am addicted to recipe contests....

I am not good at them, but I love the process.
I just finished one for cherries. I can share it with you now that it's posted.


1 1/2 cups of Ruby or Tawny Port
1/2 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dried tart cherries, unsweetened
1 large shallot, chopped
2-3 springs of thyme
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbls whole peppercorns
2 tbls unsalted butter

Boil all but the butter until reduce to 1/3 cup and pour into food processor.


Process just to break up solids and pour into fine-mesh strainer. Using spoon or spatula, press on the solids to extract all the liquids (don't forget the bottom of the strainer, there is always something hiding there).


Swirl, do not whisk, the butter into the sauce using the same pan (I hate doing dishes).


Refrigerate till use. Will keep for 2-3 weeks tightly covered in a container.


Although I use it for pork and beef tenderloins, I have used it for shrimp & scallops, duck and chicken and roasted butternut squash.

No comments :